Responsibility for policy in the field of employment, social affairs and inclusion is shared between the EU and its member countries. The European Commission:
- coordinates and monitors national policies;
- promotes the sharing of best practices in fields like employment, poverty and social exclusion and pensions;
- makes laws and monitors their implementation in areas like rights at work and coordination of social security schemes.
- European Health Insurance Card: 40% of insured Europeans have one 27. June 2017 22:00More than 200 million Europeans have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which is around 40% of the total insured population in the reporting Member States, according to the latest available figures for 2015. The card is valid in the 28 EU countries plus Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
- Successful and inspiring projects financed by EaSI and its predecessors – Sixth Commission report 21. June 2017 22:00The European Commission published its sixth monitoring report in which it reviewed 18 projects in the fields of social protection and inclusion, employment, working conditions and European job mobility. These were funded under the EU Programme for Employment and Social Innovation (EaSI) and its predecessor programmes PROGRESS and EURES.
- Commission proposes €3.5 million from Globalisation Fund for former Microsoft Mobile Oy workers in Finland 20. June 2017 22:00The European Commission has proposed to provide Finland with €3.5 million from the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund (EGF) to help 1,000 former Microsoft Mobile Oy workers to find new jobs.
- New Skills Profile tool to help non-EU nationals enter the labour market 19. June 2017 22:00The EU Skills Profile Tool for Third Country Nationals has been launched by the European Commission.
- Recent social policy developments in Croatia, the FYR of Macedonia and Turkey 15. June 2017 22:00Three new Flash Reports prepared by the European Social policy Network (ESPN) are now available and provide information on recent social policy developments in Croatia, the FYR of Macedonia and Turkey:
- Awards for VET Excellence - European Vocational Skills Week 2017 12. June 2017 22:00The award ceremony of the first European Vocational Skills Week 2016 was one of the major highlights of the Week and showcased examples of excellence in vocational education and training (VET).
- Recent social policy developments in Bulgaria, the Czech Republic and Ireland 8. June 2017 22:00Four new Flash Reports prepared by the European Social policy Network (ESPN) are now available and provide information on recent social policy developments in Bulgaria, the Czech Republic and Ireland.
- European Alliance for Apprenticeships takes stock of achievements 6. June 2017 22:00A high-level event of the European Alliance for Apprenticeships (EAfA) was held on 30 – 31 May in Malta, organised by the European Commission in cooperation with the Maltese Presidency of the Council of the European Union, and supported by the Malta College of Arts, Science and Technology and the Malta Chamber of Commerce. The event was dedicated to celebrating the four successful years of activity of the Alliance since it was first launched in 2013. The purpose of the conference was to take stock of the achievements of the Alliance while also showing its way forward.
- Three years on: report shows success of enhanced collaboration between Public Employment Services 6. June 2017 22:00Today, the Commission published a report on the European Network of Public Employment Services (PES), set up three years ago.
- Commission support from Globalisation Fund for former coal miners in Spain 1. June 2017 22:00The European Commission has proposed to provide Spain with €1 million from the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund (EGF) to help dismissed coal miners and young people not in employment, education or training (NEETs) in the Spanish region Castilla y León to find new jobs.