Responsibility for policy in the field of employment, social affairs and inclusion is shared between the EU and its member countries. The European Commission:
- coordinates and monitors national policies;
- promotes the sharing of best practices in fields like employment, poverty and social exclusion and pensions;
- makes laws and monitors their implementation in areas like rights at work and coordination of social security schemes.
- Commission report shows increased wage growth and swifter transitions from unemployment to employment 12. October 2017 22:00This year's edition of the Labour Market and Wage Developments in Europe Report confirms the positive labour market trends that have been witnessed in the EU.
- Social Agenda 49 is out – Turning vocational education and training into a smart choice 11. October 2017 22:00The new issue of the Social Agenda features an interview with Commissioner Marianne Thyssen on skills, ahead of the European Vocational Skills Week in November.
- FEAD holds network meeting on food waste prevention 8. October 2017 22:00The 7th FEAD network meeting took place in Brussels on 21 September.
- Commission adopts initiative to boost apprenticeships in Europe 4. October 2017 22:00The European Commission has adopted a proposal for a European Framework for Quality and Effective Apprenticeships.
- Employment and Social Developments Quarterly Review - October 2017 4. October 2017 22:00The Employment and Social Development in Europe (ESDE) Quarterly Review highlights continuing economic growth in the EU together with a steady decrease in unemployment.
- European Vocational Skills Week survey: Vote and win! 1. October 2017 22:00We need and value your views. Together we will make a difference.
- Commission proposes €3.3 million from Globalisation Fund to support former workers of enterprise Almaviva in Italy 25. September 2017 22:00The Commission proposed to provide Italy with €3.3 million from the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund (EGF) to help 1,610 former workers at Almaviva Contact, a company operating in the call centre sector, find new jobs.
- Moving forward on the European Pillar of Social Rights: Commission continues work on fair and predictable employment contracts 24. September 2017 22:00The European Commission has entered into further discussions with trade unions and employers' organisations at EU level on how to modernise the rules on employment contracts, in order to make these contracts fairer and more predictable for all types of workers.
- Overview of the 2016 and 2017 country-specific recommendations in the area of families and children 18. September 2017 22:00Every year the European Commission issues country-specific recommendations (CSRs) as part of the European Semester.
- EPIC at conference on promoting migrant integration 14. September 2017 22:00Barbara Janta, Senior Analyst at RAND Europe, presented EPIC at a conference on Promoting Migrant Integration for a Powerful, Diverse and Multicultural Europe.