The OECD skills and work blog is a platform that aims to share leading analysis related to the skills of the workforce, how skills are used at work, the mismatch between skills and jobs’ requirements, how countries assess and respond to changing skill needs and other issues related to skills and work.
Contributors include mainly experts in skills and labour markets in the Directorate for Employment, Labour and Social Affairs of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- Training at the time of COVID: a first look at the evidence 15. October 2021 10:38The pandemic has induced a dramatic change in work practices. How have these changes affected training provision by firms? This blogpost provides some preliminary evidence, by drawing on recently published data and a forthcoming OECD report … More Training at the time of COVID: a first look at the evidenceglendaquintini
- Canada’s approach to securing the right skills for the future of work through social dialogue 6. September 2021 15:23In a changing labour market, workers will come under increased pressure to adapt to the skills needs of the future. A new Global Deal good practice case study illustrates Canada’s approach to securing the right skills for the future of work and demonstrates that social dialogue contributes to building a dynamic, agile workforce that anticipates and responds to labour market needs. … More Canada’s approach to securing the right skills for the future of work through social dialogueglendaquintini
- Investing in Career Guidance: helping youth out of the pandemic 15. July 2021 13:28Effective career guidance helps young people to realise their potential and prevent unemployment. It also stands to play a crucial role in the recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. However, in many countries, young people are not receiving the support they need to plan their futures. Therefore, to mark World Youth Skills Day, the OECD, European Commission, Cedefop, European Training Foundation, International Labor Organisation and UNESCO are issuing a joint leaflet to highlight the importance of Investing in Career Guidance. … More Investing in Career Guidance: helping youth out of the pandemicglendaquintini
- How can countries help develop adult skills after COVID-19? 12. July 2021 9:11The pandemic led to major disruptions to labour markets and societies. The 2021 OECD Skills Outlook: Learning for Life stresses the key role of lifelong learning in a fast-changing society. It provides new insights into promoting access and participation in adult learning, especially for disadvantaged populations. In order to plant the seeds for positive lifelong learning attitudes, countries must empower individuals and provide innovative and diversified learning opportunities. … More How can countries help develop adult skills after COVID-19?glendaquintini
- A complex landscape: Continuing Education and Training for adults in Germany 23. April 2021 9:00The COVID-19 pandemic and pre-existing structural trends are forcing policymakers in Germany to rethink how the continuing education and training system can be made more future-ready to underpin strong economic performance and a high standard of living. A new OECD report on Continuing Education and Training in Germany assesses the effectiveness of Germany’s system and … More A complex landscape: Continuing Education and Training for adults in Germanyglendaquintini
- Career guidance for adults: How is it working in Latin America? 23. March 2021 14:42Adults in Latin America strongly rely on their friends and family when it comes to advice on labour market and training opportunities. Many do not know that professional guidance services exist in their countries or cannot afford them. How can we raise awareness about available guidance services and design them in a way that makes … More Career guidance for adults: How is it working in Latin America?glendaquintini
- Creating responsive adult learning opportunities in Japan 22. February 2021 7:07A new OECD report “Creating Responsive Adult Learning Opportunities in Japan” assesses the future-readiness of the Japanese adult learning system. Despite a high proficiency overall by adults in foundation skills, the Japanese adult learning system suffers from a number of shortcomings, including an over-reliance on employers for training provision, a lack of flexibility of training provision, and the limited career guidance available to adults. The report identifies specific action that should be taken to improve training participation by under-represented groups and to align training content with labour market need. … More Creating responsive adult learning opportunities in Japanglendaquintini
- OECD International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Work, Innovation, Productivity and Skills 1. February 2021 11:33Today we kick-off the week-long conference OECD International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Work, Innovation, Productivity and Skills (AI-WIPS), bringing together technical and policy experts to discuss the fast-evolving changes in AI capabilities and uptake, and to assess their implications for labour markets and societies. … More OECD International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Work, Innovation, Productivity and Skillsglendaquintini
- Career Guidance for Adults in a Changing World of Work 26. January 2021 9:00Millions of adults have lost their jobs during the COVID-19 pandemic. Some sectors, like tourism and hospitality, have been especially hard hit. Former hotel, airline and restaurant workers are now wondering how to retrain and for which jobs; and they have to answer these questions in a context of extreme uncertainty. How can we best help these workers transition into new jobs and careers? … More Career Guidance for Adults in a Changing World of Workglendaquintini
- Launch Webinar: How can career guidance help adults in a changing world of work? 19. January 2021 15:05In the time of COVID-19, quality career guidance for adults matters more than ever. Join us on 26 January for a live launch and discussion of new findings with a panel of experts. … More Launch Webinar: How can career guidance help adults in a changing world of work?glendaquintini